Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Issue 1

Not sure if you have ever heard of the free online fantasy hockey league http://www.goodhockey.com/ where you can join a tournament league or a private league, or even make your own private league to do battle with your friends. My private league is currently in the semi-finals, where I am up 1-0 in my series, but thats not what I want to rant about. You pick a team of fictatious players with a salary cap of 35 million dollars. In the tournament league you start in tier 5, top 2 teams from that move up, while the bottom how many ever move down, except in tier 5 b/c thats the lowest tier. Anywho... 20 teams per league, 38 games, 2 points per win, 1 point per overtime loss, play everyone twice. I finished the regular season of this tournament league with a record of 38-0-0. Yes, I went undefeated, despite losing my top rated player for 11 games. Playoffs come around, they are best of 3 series, top 8 teams make it. I sweep the first round no problem. Second round comes along, close games, I lose 4 players to injury in that round but still manage to sweep it. So I am perfect so far, 42-0-0 all year long and I'm now in the finals. Whaddaya know, I get swept... not scoring a goal in the final round. I still got 5 million bucks and I get to move up to tier 4 but I'm so disappointed. To go undefeated all year and get swept in the Finals makes me wanna cry.

Thankfully to wipe away those tears caused by online hockey... the NHL has tremendous playoff races going on. The east... I honestly could care less about, the west will win the cup yet again. It makes it more interesting to me b/c my team is right in the middle of it all. Sitting in 7th as I type and looking to get Ethan Moreau back in the line-up tomorrow night against Atlanta. Too bad the Trade Deadline was a week ago... we could maybe have gotten depth defencemen or a pick for the depressing Dustin Penner. When will he learn... to play in the NHL you need to move your feet.

I laugh every time I hear that Derek Morris was the marque defencemen moved on the Deadline last wednesday. What has this guy done? Honestly. Besides the suspensions he has accumulated over the years. ... ... ... I can't think of anything. I came near to soiling myself the other day when I had read an interview done by him with some Ranger reporter. Morris says that he is happy to be with the Rangers and hopes that he can play alongside one of the many young defencemen the team has and teach him how to play in the NHL. I don't know about you but if I were an NHL defencemen I would LOVE to have Derek Morris as my mentor... ... ... HA! If I'm wanting to learn how to be a thorn in the locker room and a presence in the penalty and press box then ya O.K. Morris would be a good mentor. Please Mr. Morris, please leave the young hockey players alone so that we can get away from headshots in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment